We need your help!
In October 2020, Representatives Rashida Tlaib and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez introduced the Public Banking Act, which would make it easier for states and communities to start their own public banks. With negotiations underway for President Biden’s climate infrastructure package in Congress, now is the time to deliver federal resources for state and local public banks.
Public Banking Act resources
- Summary of the Public Banking Act
- Fact sheet on COVID-19 and public banks
- Fact sheet on public banks and postal banking (coming soon)
- Full legislative text
- Press Release from Congresswoman Tlaib’s office
Public Banking Act news
- Vox: Rashida Tlaib and AOC have a proposal for a fairer, greener financial system — public banking
- Common Dreams: ‘Banking for the People’: Tlaib and Ocasio-Cortez Unveil Bill to Foster Creation of Public Banks Across US
- The Hill: Tlaib, Ocasio-Cortez offer bill to create national public banking system
Other public banking news
The Hill: Public banking would help speed the economic recovery from COVID-19 by Rick Girling with the California Public Banking Alliance and Isaiah Poole.
Market Watch: Missing ingredient so far in coronavirus economic recovery plans: public banks by Timothy Knowles and Ameya Pawar.